Thursday, November 8, 2007

Small Victory!

One of my weaknesses is that I don't always stand up for myself when I should. This means I tend to get walked on or taken advantage of (typically these mean the same thing). Rick really hates when this happens to me--he knows I deserve better and so do I.

An opportunity came about this week at school It is parent/teacher conferences. I was asked to attend my two students conferences, but I wouldn't get paid for it. I am willing to attend without pay because it is important for the student and for my own experiences, but if I am putting in time towards the school- I should get paid. No one I know works for free.

I asked my principal yesterday if I could get paid for being at the conferences. She initially said she couldn't pay me, but then said she would look into it. Alright, at least I spoke up!

This morning she came in and let me know that they would be able to pay me and the other aides. I was quite excited--not so much for the few extra dollars, but more so because I asked!

Lesson learned, hopefully I can't make this a habit!

2 comments:

Mindie said...

Yay Katie! I'm really proud of you- I struggle with this too sometimes so this makes me really happy :)

Andrea said...

someone has to stick up for you since i'm in turkey..i'm glad it was you this time sticking up for yourself...love you sooo much.