Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Day after Thanksgiving!

Rick and I got up early on Friday to go Downtown to meet my parents. We wanted to take the train from Lockport though so this meant getting up at 6am to catch the 7:11am train. The temperature had greatly dropped in the past 24 hours so we bundled up in our biggest jackets.

It was a great train ride because there were only four stops to get to Union Station. Since we got there at 8am and my parents weren't arriving until 10:30am we walked to Barnes and Nobles. When we got inside Rick said my cheeks were very, very red. He took this picture, but I don't you can really tell just how cold it was outside. We stayed there and read until about 10am.




We were meeting my parents to go to the Art Institute so we headed toward their train from Indiana. It was running late, but we were able to see the wreathing of the Lions outside the Art Institute. This event draws quite a crowd if you can believe it.


Once my parents arrived we had a snack at Corner Bakery and attempted to call the Turkish Consulate. My parents are going to visit Andrea next month and needed to get clearance to go to Turkey. The website said they didn't accept walk-ins on Friday, but this didn't stop them. We talked down Michigan Avenue to consulate. They were able to get in (after clearing security and emptying EVERYTHING out of their pockets). This was quite an effort so Rick and I didn't go in. We took the backpacks and went back downstairs to wait. Before getting on the elevator Rick noticed it was quite a beautiful view of the 14th floor of this building and took this picture.

Rick and I were cold (and apparently not very happy) as we waited in Corner Bakery for my parents.


The consulate was able to get the passports signed for my parents, but they needed to come back at 2pm to pick them up. So, we walked back to the Art Institute. Rick likes to get the action shot! We weren't at the Art Institute too long, but we took Rick to the Impressionist Paintings. Although I do not like the Art Institute I am always reminded that I have a lot more knowledge of art than I think or acknowledge.

After the Art Institute it was time to walk BACK to the consulate. We stopped along the way to take some pictures of the Bean and the ice skaters. Rick also took pictures of my mom taking pictures!



After the consulate we had lunch at Bennigans. Even though it was freezing it was not too cold for ice cream so we attempted to go have Ben and Jerry's. Unfortunately, they are now closed (It wasn't cold enough for any other ice cream). We went into Borders for a while before it was time to catch our trains.

While we were in this part of town we saw this performer. He poses and people pay to take this picture. He puts up a sign when unpaid people try to get a shot. Rick was far enough way that he got this picture of him.

On our walk back to Union Station Rick crossed the street as the on-coming traffic was coming. I yelled his name as he ran across. I am not sure if it was to alert him or to say "what the hell are you doing?" Rick took this picture as I crossed the street a few seconds later.

The Great Hall at Union Station decorated for the holidays.

Just waiting for the train- I was pretty tired at the end of the day!

No comments: